man in black jacket riding bicycle on road during daytime

Transport (18 years +)


Most people use transport to get around. You might use different transport depending on where you’re going. Maybe you catch the train to work and catch the bus to visit your friends. Or maybe you have your driver’s license and drive your car everywhere. This section will give you information and advice about your transport options, what discounts and subsidies are available to people with disabilities, and where to go if you need support or advice.

Public Transport

In Perth the public transport system is called Transperth and in regional WA it is Transwa. Transperth has hundreds of bus routes and 6 train lines across the Perth Metro and Peel (Mandurah) areas, and Transwa has train and coach buses travelling all over WA each day.



To catch a bus or train with Transperth you can buy a ticket with cash or you can use a SmartRider. A SmartRider is a reusable card that you put money onto instead of having to buy a cash ticket. To use a SmartRider you just tap it on a ‘Tag On Tag Off’ machine at the start and end of your trip. If you have a Health Care Card you can apply for a Concession SmartRider. A Concession SmartRider makes your bus and train trips much cheaper than a standard ticket. To learn more about using a SmartRider and how you can get your own SmartRider card visit the Transperth website:

Transperth Smartrider


If you get the Disability Support Pension you can apply for a Pensioner SmartRider. A Pensioner SmartRider card lets you travel for free between 9am – 3.30pm and after 7pm Monday to Friday and all weekend, and trips at the concession rate at all other times. To get a Pensioner SmartRider application form call the Transperth InfoLine on 13 62 13 or visit the Transperth website:

Transperth Pensioner Smartrider


Free travel

People on the Disability Support Pension who work more than 8 hours a week can apply for a Transperth Unrestricted Ticket. This gives you free travel on all Transperth services all the time. There are rules about who can apply so visit the Transperth website to find out more:

Transperth Concession Guide


Transperth Disability Assistance

There are accessible toilets and telephones at all major Transperth bus and train stations, and free accessible parking at all train stations thathave parking bays. All Transperth buses are wheelchair accessible. Most Transperth train stations are wheelchair accessible and all Transperth buses and trains also have Priority Seating for people with disabilities. Communication Cards are available for people with disabilities that catch Transperth buses who may have trouble communicating with the bus driver. The cards have space to write which bus stop you want to get off at and any assistance you may need. You can get some Communication Cards by calling the Transperth InfoLine on 13 62 13.

If you are in a wheelchair or have a vision impairment you can get special assistance from a Transperth staff member with getting around the train station. To organise special assistance call 1800 800 022 at least one hour before you will be needing assistance. For more information about all of Transperth’s disability assistance services go to

Transperth Disability Assistance

or call the Transperth InfoLine on 13 62 13. The InfoLine is open 5am – midnight Sunday to Thursday, and 5am – 2am on Fridays and Saturdays.



Transwa runs the buses and trains in regional WA. Even though there’s not as many services available as there is in Perth, there are still local bus routes in Albany, Bunbury, Busselton and Esperance. You can use a SmartRider on these local bus routes. There are also Transwa coach buses going from Perth to many WA regional towns and back each day. To find out where and when the coach buses travel, check out the Transwa website:

Transwa Coaches


The Australind is the Transwa train that services the South-West and Great Southern regions of WA. It runs from Perth to Bunbury and back again, stopping at Armadale, Byford, Mundijong, Serpentine, North Dandalup, Pinjarra, Waroona, Yarloop, Cookernup, Harvey, Brunswick Junction along the way. The Australind runs twice a day, 7 days a week. For more information visit:

Transwa Australind


All Transwa coach buses and trains are wheelchair accessible and if you have a registered assistance dog or guide dog, they are allowed to travel with you. If you have a Health Care Card, Pensioner Concession Card or a Concession SmartRider you get Transwa trips for half price. And Pensioner Concession Card holders can also get 2 free Transwa trips each year. To find out how to apply for Pensioner Free Travel go to the Transwa website:

Transwa Pensioner Free Travel


If you don’t like getting the bus or train or you live somewhere where there isn’t any public transport, getting a taxi is another transport option. Taxis can be expensive if you use them often, but if you have a permanent mobility impairment (like using a wheelchair), are legally blind or have an intellectual disability you can apply for the Taxi Subsidy Scheme. The Taxi Subsidy Scheme gives you a discount of between 50 – 75% on your taxi fares. To be able to apply you will need your doctor to confirm your disability by completing part of the application form. For more about the Taxi Subsidy Scheme and to download an application form go to:

Department of Transport – Taxi Subsidy Scheme


Country Age Pension Fuel Card

If you are on the Disability Support Pension and live in regional WA you might be able to get a Country Age Pension Fuel Card. The Country Age Pension Fuel Card gives you up to $575 a year towards the cost of fuel or taxi fares. For an application form call 1300 666 609 or visit your local regional post office. There are rules about who can apply so it’s a good idea to check out the Department of Regional Development website for more information:

DRD Country Pension Fuel Card

Mobility Allowance

Mobility Allowance is a Centrelink payment to help with travel costs for people with disabilities who are on Disability Support Pension, Jobseeker, Austudy or Youth Allowance that either work, are looking for work, or study, for at least 8 hours a week and don’t already have transport funding in their NDIS plan. To get more information about who can apply and how much you can get call Centrelink on 13 27 17 or visit the Services Australia website:

Services Australia Mobility Allowance


Getting your driver’s licence can make you feel more independent. It’s a good feeling driving your own car and not relying on anyone else to get around! But getting your licence and owning a car are both big responsibilities. This section will help you think about the steps involved in getting your driver’s licence and some tips about having your own car.


Getting your driver’s licence 

Everyone who wants to drive a car needs to go through the process of getting a driver’s licence. The 6 steps to getting your full driver’s licence are:


  1. Do your Learner’s Permit Test

You can do your Learner’s Permit Test once you are 16 years old. The Learner’s Permit Test is a theory test. This means it’s a question-based test with no actual driving involved. There are 30 multiple choice questions about road rules and laws and driver safety. You need to get at least 24 questions correct to pass. To get ready for your Learner’s Test you should study the ‘Drive Safe Handbook’ which you can download from the Department of Transport website:

Department of Transport – Learner Resources

There’s also a practice Learner’s Permit Test on their website:

Department of Transport – Road Rules Theory

You will need photo ID (like a passport or Proof of Age Card) to do your test. You can find your closest Licensing Centre or regional agent here:

Department of Transport – Licensing Centre

It’s important that you let the Department of Transport know about your disability when you complete your Learner’s Permit application form. You may be asked to get a Medical Driving Assessment or Occupational Therapist (OT) Driving Assessment done before you can get your driver’s licence. If you have goals in your NDIS Plan that support you getting your driver’s licence, you can use your NDIS funding for an OT assessment. A list of OT driving assessment providers in South West and Great Southern WA is available further in this section. You can learn more about reporting medical conditions on the Department of Transport website:

Department of Transport – Medical Conditions


  1. Learn to drive

Once you pass your Learner’s Permit Test you will be given a Log Book and you can begin driving supervised. Your supervisor can be anyone who has had their full driver’s licence for at least 4 years. This could be a friend, family member, support person or a driving teacher. If you are under 25 years old you will need to do 50 hours of supervised driving including 5 hours of night time driving before you can go for your practical driving test. You record your supervised driving hours in your Log Book.

If you’re older than 25 you don’t need to do 50 supervised hours or keep a Log Book, but you will still need to practice driving supervised before you go for your practical driving test.


  1. Do the Hazard Perception Test

You must have your Learner’s Permit for at least 6 months before you can sit the Hazard Perception Test. The Hazard Perception Test is a simulated driving test. This means you complete the test using a computer and you’re not actually driving. The test will see if you know the road rules and assesses your reaction speed to different situations. There are 28 different situations You can try a practice Hazard Perception Test on the Department of Transport website:


  1. Continue learning to drive

Once you pass the Hazard Perception Test you should complete your 50 supervised hours of driving (if you’re under 25) or keep practising driving supervised until you’re confident enough to go for your Practical Driving Assessment.


  1. Do your Practical Driving Assessment

You must be 17 years or older to sit your Practical Driving Assessment. This is a practical test which means you’re actually driving a car. You will need to take your photo ID and your completed Log Book (if you’re under 25) with you to your Practical Driving Assessment as well as supplying a car to do your test in. This can be any car as long as it is roadworthy. Roadworthy means the car is in a good safe condition to be legally driven. Before the assessment a Department of Transport assessor will check your car is roadworthy.

The assessor will be in the passenger seat of the car and will assess while you drive. They may ask you to do different things to test your driving skills like parallel parking or doing a hill start. Once you’re finished the assessor will tell you if you’ve passed or not. Don’t worry if you didn’t pass because you can sit the test as many times as you need to, but you will have to pay an assessment fee each time.

To find out more about the Practical Driving Assessment:

Department of Transport – Practical Assessment


  1. Getting your ‘P’ plates

Once you pass your Practical Driving Assessment you will be allowed to drive on your ‘P plates’, short for provisional plates. For the first 6 months you will have red P plates. On your red P plates you can’t drive between midnight – 5am unless you have proof that you need to for work or school. After the first 6 months you go onto your green P plates for 18 months. After a total of 2 years on your P plates you have a full driver’s licence.

For more information about getting a driver’s licence call Driver and Vehicle Licensing on 13 11 56 or check out the Department of Transport website

Department of Transport – Learn to Drive

You can find your closest Licensing Centre or regional agent here:

Department of Transport – Licensing Centre


Vehicle and licence concessions

If you are on the Disability Support Pension or have a Pensioner Concession Card you can get a discount on your vehicle and licence costs. You can get the application form by visiting your closest Licensing Centre or regional agent or from the Department of Transport website:

Department of Transport – Concessions


Driving schools for people with disabilities

Below are a few providers in WA that do driving lessons and OT driving assessments for people with disabilities. If you have funding in your NDIS Plan to support you in learning to drive then you can use it with any of these providers.


Six Star Disabled Driver Training

Pinjarra, Bunbury and Busselton areas
Driving lessons only
Modified vehicles available
NDIS registered provider
Ph: 0406 456 353 or 0411 511 729

Six Star Driver Training


Eclipse Driving School
Rockingham, Mandurah and Bunbury areas
Driving lessons and OT driving assessments
Modified vehicles available
NDIS registered provider
Ph: (08) 9557 5010

Eclipse Driving School


Indigo Solutions

Perth, Mandurah and Bunbury areas
Driving lessons and OT driving assessments
NDIS registered provider
Ph: (08) 9381 0600

Indigo Driving


Drive and Pass Specialised Driver Training

Dianella (Perth metro area)
Driving lessons only
Modified vehicle available (automatic transmission only)
NDIS registered provider
Ph: 0449 995 456

Drive and Pass


OT Services Group

Visiting the Peel (Mandurah), Bunbury, Busselton and Esperance areas fortnightly
Driving lessons and OT driving assessments
NDIS registered provider
Ph: (08) 9332 1783

OT Services Group


Functional Revival

Albany area
OT driving assessments only
NDIS registered provider
Ph: (08) 9842 6038

Functional Revival Driver Assessments


ACROD Parking Permit

ACROD parking permits are for people who are unable to walk and use a wheelchair or their ability to walk is severely restricted due to a medical condition or disability. If you have an ACROD permit you can park in ACROD parking bays. Most people know ACROD parking bays as ‘disabled parking’ bays. The bays are usually marked by a sign, as well as the figure of a blue person in a wheelchair painted on the ground.

If you park in an ARCOD bay and don’t have an ACROD permit you can be fined $500. There are rules who can get an ACROD parking permit so to find out more contact the ACROD Parking Program:

Ph: (08) 9242 5544
(Monday to Friday 9.00am – 4.30pm)
Acrod Parking Permits


Special vehicle modifications

If you need special modifications put in your car because of your disability, you need to get it approved by the Department of Transport first. They may need you to get a vehicle assessment done before they approve the modifications. Find out more on the Department of Transport website

Technology for Ageing and Disabled WA (TADWA) do vehicle modifications for people with disabilities in Perth and Bunbury. You can call their Bunbury office on 1300 663 243 or check out their website: TADWA


Other driving supports

RYDE (Regional Youth Driver Education Program) helps learner drivers under 25 who live in WA and don’t have access to a car, can’t afford driving lessons or don’t have a person to supervise them in doing their 50 hours of supervised driving. RYDE charges a small fee of $15 per 90 minute driving lesson and they provide the car and a volunteer supervisor.

RYDE has regional programs in Mandurah, Bunbury and Busselton.


South West RYDE (Bunbury and Busselton)
Ph: 0419 730 550 or (08) 9721 6951
Ryde South West


Mandurah RYDE
Ph: (08) 9550 3670 or (08) 9581 3365
Ryde Mandurah


Keys2Drive is an Australian government program that gives 1 free driving lesson to learner drivers. You can find out more and book your free lesson at the Keys2Drive website:

Keys 2 Drive


The Curtin University Autism Research Group (CARG) is running a pilot project to help Autistic people with learning to drive. If you want to find out more or be involved in the project email or check out the CARG website: CARG Driving Transport

NDIS & Transport

NDIS can provide funding for transport supports in a few different ways.

Providing Transport

If you can’t use public transport because of your disability you can get transport funding in your NDIS Plan. How much you get depends on whether you’re working or studying, or just need transport to get to social and recreational activities like visiting friends. You might get transport funding for taxis, rideshare services (like Uber), or a community bus service. Community bus services are transport that is shared with other people with disabilities. These transport supports are funded under the category of Core: Transport Allowance.

You can learn more about Transport Allowance funding on the NDIS website:

NDIS Transport Funding


NDIS might also give you transport funding that covers the cost of a support worker to drive you to and from your social and community activities such as going shopping, going to the doctors or going swimming at the local pools. This is funded under the category of Core: Assistance with Social and Community Participation.


Transport Capacity Building

NDIS can fund supports like a therapist who can help you get better and become more confident at using public transport on your own. This is called transport capacity building and is funded under the category of Capacity: Improved Daily Living.


Vehicle Modifications

NDIS can help fund vehicle modifications that you need because of your disability. They may cover part or all of the costs. This is funded under the category Core: Assistive Technology.

To learn more about NDIS-funded transport supports check out the Plan Partners website:

Plan Partners Transport


Learning to Drive

If you want to learn how to drive you might be able to get driving lessons funded in your NDIS Plan under the category Capacity: Improved Daily Living Skills or Capacity: Increased Social and Community Participation. NDIS can also cover the costs of an OT Driving Assessment if the Department of Transport requires you to get one.

For more information about NDIS learning to drive supports, go to the LeapIn website:

Leapin Learning To Drive


If you want any of these transport supports funded in your NDIS Plan the first thing you need to do is contact your Local Area Coordinator (LAC). They can tell you if transport funding is suitable for you and help you write up goals for your NDIS Plan that reflect your need for transport supports.

Your Local Area Coordinator (LAC) in the South West and Great Southern WA regions is APM. You can contact APM by calling 1300 276 522 or by emailing: