Having an autistic child can be one of the most joyful, enlightening, puzzling, stressful, and worrying experiences life has to offer. For example, research shows that there are many positive experiences associated with parenting an autistic child, and that parenting an autistic child is the most stressful of all parenting experiences. Many typical parenting strategies do not seem to work, and parents can become frustrated, exhausted and begin to feel helpless. In this workshop, our aim is to increase your understanding of autism and common family dynamics that occur when one or more family members are autistic, including autistic parents. We share ideas and strategies from research and our combined clinical wisdom, based on over 80 years of experience.
Who Will Benefit:
- Parents and carers who have children or teenagers with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) Levels 1 or 2. (NB: If your child has ASD Level 3 our course Nonverbal Autism would be the best one for you).
- Health and educational professionals supporting parents of autistic children and adolescents, for e.g., psychologists, speech pathologists, occupational therapists, social workers, physiotherapists, dietitians, counsellors, mental health nurses, teachers, teacher’s aides, HOSES, psychiatrists, GPS, paediatricians.
The course was designed to assist participants to:
- Increase their understanding of their autistic child or teenager, whether their child has just been newly diagnosed, or the diagnosis has been known for some time.
- Equip parents and caregivers with an understanding of their child’s neurology and learning profile,
- Ideas and strategies are presented to support positive family relationships
- Suggestions to help navigate school and transitions,
- Ways to help prepare your child for independence, and
- Strategies to help prevent parent/carer burnout.
When: 9.30am-4.00pm (AEST Brisbane) Friday 14th October 2022
Where: Webinar online
Presented by: Professor Tony Attwood and Dr Michelle Garnett
Cost: $195.00 Early Bird (ends 29/09/22) or $230.00 Full Price. Cost may be claimable from NDIS funding if you are Self-Managed or Plan Managed.